Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Potato Cheese Soup

Tis the season for soups!!  I love fall!!  My mom used to make this recipe for me when I was a little girl.  I used to get strep throat a lot as a child and every time I did, she would make me her homemade potato cheese soup.

This is mom's recipe and I have no idea where she got it :)  This is NOT gluten free.  I don't know if you can make this with gluten free flour because you need the gluten to help the soup get thick. So if you are allergic or sensitive to gluten, this recipe is not for you.

However, if you love potato cheese soup this is an excellent one.  I make it for my husband and kiddos and they love it.  I use red potatoes instead of Idaho.  I'll be posting a Quick Peppery Cheese Bread recipe tomorrow that goes really well with this soup, so make sure you look for that one to post!

This is pretty fast to cook and it's super yummy.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:

5 Red Potatoes
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 to 3/4 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (a block of sharp cheddar is best)

Directions:
  • Peel and cut potatoes into cubes.  I half way peel my potatoes.  I like some of the skin on them. Cook the potatoes until they are ready to fall apart. Drain and then put them back in your empty sauce pan.
  • When the potatoes are almost done, you can start your white sauce.  In a separate sauce pan, take the butter, flour, salt and milk and mix them up in a saucepan.  Turn the heat up on the stove and stir constantly until it thickens and bubbles.
  • Once thick, add the sauce to your other sauce pan of potatoes.  Turn the heat back to medium and add in your shredded cheese.  
  • Stir until the cheese melts.
You are ready to serve.  This recipe serves 2 to 3 servings.  Feel free to double for 4-5 people.








No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS