Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

Firehouse Salad

I was introduced to this yummy salad by one of our neighbors. My friend Heather shares some amazing recipes and here is another. Her husband actually made this one night while we were over grilling steaks and as I watched him make it, I was like....what the heck are you making?!?! It was not overly appealing and the ingredients were something I probably would not have put together...ever. He explained to me that what he was making is called a Firehouse Salad. One night, a group of firemen at the fire station ran out of meal ideas and didn't feel like going to the store, so they grabbed what food was in the firehouse and started putting them together...and that is how the Firehouse Salad came into existence. So don't be turned away but the ingredients...my friend told me to try a bite once he finished making it. Oh WOW is all I have to say! It was SO good and so different. I was very shocked!
Now, this salad is not an overly healthy one nor would I ever eat it with my lunch. This type of salad pairs really well with burgers or steak or BBQ. It is a Gluten free salad, though. If I didn't share this, I feel I would be withholding a recipe worth repeating and I can't do that. It's definitely worth repeating.
We make this salad on holidays and everyone we have introduced it to loves it. Enjoy!
Ingredients
  • 1 head Iceberg Lettuce
  • 1/2 block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 can of Ranch Style Beans
  • 1/4 cup Catalina Dressing
  • 1 bag Fritos Lays Corn Chips
Directions
  • Cut the head of iceberg lettuce into bite size pieces and thoroughly wash. I use a salad spinner to ensure the lettuce is dry. Move washed lettuce to a big mixing bow.
  • Take 1/2 block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese and shred it with a cheese grater or a food processer. Add to the mixing bowl with the lettuce.
  • Take the can of Ranch Style Beans and pour on top of the cheese and lettuce. Do not drain the beans...you want the juice in the salad.
  • Take about 1/4 cup of Catalina dressing and pour into the mixing bowl and start to toss the salad. Feel free to add more Catalina Dressing if you like more dressing in your salad.
  • Take the bag of Frito Lays Corn Chips and add to the salad.
firehouse 1
  • Mix well and serve.
firehouse 2

Recipe source: inspired by: Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS