Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Southwest Stew

It’s actually COLD here in Phoenix, AZ! We had a hailstorm yesterday and the kids were like, “Mommy!  It’s snowing!!”  So I figured it was time to get out my daddy’s Southwest Stew recipe for this cold weather! This one is SOOO easy! I have no idea where my dad got this recipe. It’s been in my family since I was a little girl. This recipe is high in fiber, low carb and gluten and dairy free. I made a pot last night in the crock pot so I can eat on it this week for lunch! This dish goes great over rice or with cornbread. If you are watching your carbs, skip the rice and cornbread. For toppings, my dad always sprinkled his favorite shredded cheese on top and added a small spoonful of sour cream. Enjoy this one, it's a family favorite. 
Ingredients:
  • 2lbs of ground beef
  • 1 ½ cup of diced onion
  • 1 can (28 ounces) tomato, petite diced, liquid reserved
  • 1 can (16 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (17 oz.) whole corn drained
  • 1 cup of Pace Picante Sauce (I recommend Medium)
  • ¾ cups water
  • ½ tsp. chili powder
  • ½ tsp. ground cumin
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
Directions:
Combine all ingredients above into a crock pot and stir well. Cook for 2- 3 hours on high. Optional – sprinkle cheese or add sour cream as a topping.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS