Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wild Rice Cranberry Pecan Salad


I am so late in my recipe posting today!  I’m so sorry!  It’s been one of those days I just lost track of time!!This is a side dish recipe I found from Simply Recipes and my family loves it.  I’m a big fan of creative rice recipes and I think you will enjoy this one!  This one is good with just about any side dish but I like to serve this one on special occasions (Easter, company coming over,etc).  This one is Gluten Free and Dairy Free and vegetarian! 

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice wild rice mix
2 and 1/3 cups water
½ tsp salt
1 tsp butter
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans (toasted or untoasted, your choice)
¼ cup sliced green onions
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp grated orange peel (optional)
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:

Use the amount of water for the rice according to instructions on the rice package.  Typically straight brown rice is 1:2 ratio rice to water.  Straight wild rice is a ratio of 1:3 of wild rice to water.  But make sure you follow the directions on the package on how to cook the rice.

Bring the rice, ½ tsp salt, butter, and water to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 50 minutes.  Do not stir.  Do not uncover.  Remove from the stove and let sit, covered for 10 minutes.  Then uncover, fluff up with a fork, and let cool to almost room temperature.

In a medium sized serving bowl, mix the rice, cranberries, pecans and green onions together.

In a separate jar, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, orange peel, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.  Just before serving, mix the dressing in the rice mixture.  Serve warm, chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 4 to 6


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS