Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade Vegetable Soup

It has really cooled off here in AZ and the next couple of days are supposed to get cooler!  My friends and family from TN told me it's supposed to get down to like 29 degrees tomorrow night!!  SO - I thought this is a perfect opportunity for me to post my dad's homemade vegetable soup recipe! We have had this in our family since I was a little girl.  I remember coming home from school as a kid and this aroma filling up our house on those cold days.  I think it will always be a smell that reminds me of my childhood and when I make this, it totally takes me back to those wonderful memories of growing up!

I'm not sure where he got this recipe...probably from his mom...but anyway...it's so yummy and great for you!  It's gluten free, dairy free and full of veggies! This goes great with cornbread and as for the meat...feel free to use beef stew meat or ground beef...your choice! You can also add any veggies you really like!  Enjoy!

 Ingredients:
1 Package of beef stew meat
1 large can of tomato juice (get a 46 ounce can)
1 small onion chopped
4 tsp of salt
2 tsp of Worcestershire
1 tablespoon of chili powder
2 bay leaves
3 cans of mixed vegetables (I like the brand Veg All)
1 17 ounce can whole kernel corn
3-4 potatoes cut up (optional)
1 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cups chopped celery

Directions:
Combine the meat, tomato juice, onion and seasonings above and 6 cups of water in a large sauce pan.  Cook that for 2 hours.  Then add the remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.



2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds great and yummy. Vegetarians will surely love this too. Thanks!

    healthy easy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks! It's been in my family since I was a baby!!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS